Thursday, January 5, 2012

So I'm Moving to Australia!



So it’s been a while since I’ve blogged…4 months to be exact. But I’m back! Because I finally have something worthwhile to write about…SURPRISE! I’M MOVING TO AUSTRALIA! This is something I’ve been thinking about, torturing myself about, secretly killing myself over for quite some time, but I’ve finally officially booked a ticket, I got a year long working-holiday visa, and it’s all really happening!


So why am I moving to Australia?? I can spend hours answering this question and will probably address this very question in several more blog posts to come. But for now, below you’ll find a stream of random ramblings I wrote one random night a couple random months ago, when I was extra-specially confused about the state of my life. I sounded like a crazy person, but I think somewhere in there I put together a feasible explanation for why going the conventional graduate college-get a serious job route just isn’t for me….at least not for now.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Why does my fancy shmancy Ivy League degree feel like a burden? (Side note: I definitely need to make sure my Dad never reads that very sentence). I’m trying to find a job, but I’m so confused about what I want to do. I have a slight loss of passion and ambition because more than anything right now I want to travel! The travel bug is here again but I’m supposed to get a job! I sound like a selfish little brat…people would kill to go to college, be able to afford it, have the experiences I have had, but there are more life experiences to be had outside of going to college and then getting a straight 9-5.


Am I crazy that I want to work as a waitress? Seriously though, I’ve always wanted to try it at least once. The other day I found myself on a website about getting a job on a cruise ship, then I thought “what on Earth would my Dad think if he saw me right now?” I have all these selfish-hippie-live life- be young and dumb-free-spirited desires, but I’m afraid to pursue them because it’s not what I’m SUPPOSED to do. When u graduate from a school like Penn, anything less than a corporate job or run of the mill entry level position in your given field is blasphemous! Only the best is expected of you and ASAP.


I slaved at unpaid internships for three summers and now I’m expected to do the next step and get a job in communications for the mere sake of fulfilling my bachelors degree and everyone’s expectations and ensuring everyone not to worry, that my $50,000/year education didn’t go to shit. After graduating, some of my friends hadn’t found jobs yet and were panicking. I was panicking thinking about all the traveling I wanted to do and how I probably wouldn’t be able to do it had I signed up immediately for a job.


Old people always says: “Do what makes you happy.” But I don’t think any of them actually believe it when they say it. What people really need to say is: “Do what makes you happy, but don’t go too crazy!” I been trying to keep the “do what makes u happy thing” at the forefront of my mind, but between college grad expectations, watching my friends move on to the real world job market, a travel bug crawling up my leg, and trying to please my parents, I’m all jacked up in the head!


All I know…what I want to do right now is live boldly, live fearlessly, take risks, and shock not just the people around me, but surprise my damn self. At the end of the day, this is my life and I have to be happy with it. It’s moments like sitting on the cliffs in Coogee Beach, Sydney or riding on the back of a scooter through the streets of Barcelona that made me feel most alive and that’s all I really want right now. A 9-5 entry-level desk job ain’t going anywhere! Whether I take the job now or 5 years from now, either way, those types of jobs will always be around. Traveling while I’m young with nothing to lose…no serious job, boyfriend, apartment lease, car note, or kids…this opportunity won’t always be here.


“Life won’t always be just about you.”


4 comments:

  1. this is wonderful. I say you go for it. bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say GO FOR IT and LOVE EVERY MOMENT OF IT...I know how u feel and I felt the same way back in 2008 when I got up and moved to Spain after graduation and now I am still in Europe 3yrs later...The travel bug has hit me again now that I am approaching graduating w/my masters..I agree with u on so many different levels especially the 9-5 jobs are really mandane and are not going anywhere...Living aboard will definitely open your eyes to so many different things that are once in a life time experience and you will learn so much about yourself...I wish more of us young women and people of color had this free spirited attitude and the opportunity...Good luck w/your travels and have fun exploring...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a really similar article 'persevering into the unknown' on my website positivitysparkles.com/ where I also discuss going beyond the norm of the expectations and instead following something I've wanted to do instead and going to Australia ! Love this post though and totally agree!! Go for it !!!!

    ReplyDelete