Friday, May 6, 2011

How Sydney Ruined My Life

Studying abroad in Sydney was the best and worst thing that ever happened to me. Pre-Sydney, I had plans! I had my entire life laid out! I was gonna graduate college, move to NY or LA, work as someone’s assistant at some TV or film company, live the whole “young and broke in NY or LA” lifestyle, kiss ass and climb up the ladder in the entertainment industry…it was gonna be great!

Thennnnnn I studied abroad in Sydney, where I met an interesting species of homo sapiens known as: “the crazy, free-spirited, backpacking Europeans.” These unique creatures were 18-30 year old world travelers who have seen more of the world than most adults have and, as corny as it sounds, sincerely lived in the moment. They lived according to a “yes!” mentality, were adventurous, gregarious, fearless, spontaneous, and soaked up every bit of everyday. Meeting these “crazy, free-spirited, backpacking Europeans” really did a number on my entire outlook on everything! These people took off school, took off work, saved money, left their friends and families behind, and traveled to Sydney and beyond…many of them alone…for an adventure, a chance to meet new people, have good times, and just live! The urgency to finish school, look into grad programs, network, start building a career, please their parents…NONE of that was even a care…even a mere sliver of a thought in their minds! They selfishly came to Sydney to be young, dumb, and have some fun and I secretly worshipped them.


For five months in Sydney, I at least got to pretend to be just like them. I partied 4 nights a week, explored every crevice of Sydney, road tripped New Zealand and lived off of ham sandwiches and nutella for a week, went skydiving, bungy jumping, and sowed my wild oats (<-- isn’t that the weirdest phrase ever?). Basically for five months I got a taste of what “living” was like.

An experience like the one I had in Sydney is bound to change a person, right? How does one come back from THAT and slip right back into “graduate, move to NY or LA, become someone’s bitchass assistant for 2 years, work up the ladder, blah, blah, blah” mode? The minute I came back from Sydney, any semblance of a life plan I ever had immediately became completely and comprehensively unappealing. Yes, I still love TV and movies more than anything, yes, a huge part of me still wants to live that young and broke lifestyle in NY or LA, but a HUGE part of me also wants to NOT do any of that. Why? Blame the “crazy, free-spirited, backpacking Europeans”! They’ve messed with my head!


Anyways, within the next few days I obviously have to, if not figure out my life plans, figure out what the hell I’m doing for the summer! I told myself and my parents that I want to enjoy my summer. Even if that means lying on my parents’ bed with a box of Dominos pizza and my dog Haze all summer, I absolutely refuse to even entertain the idea of seriously looking for a job until the end of the summer. Spoiled little rich kid much? But whatever! I’ve sacrificed every summer for the past 4 years in the name of “getting my foot in the door” by working as an unpaid intern and building a pretty bomb-ass resume (if I do say so myself…). So I think I deserve a little R & R this summer. Hopefully in Europe? That is still to be determined…


Anyways for kicks and giggles, My Ultimate Dream Life Plans: Travel around Europe for the entire summer, then move to Sydney for a year or so and make money bartending, waitressing, and basically doing any job that to most people sound unappealing but to me, I’ve always wanted to do. Live in my old stomping grounds of Coogee Beach and one day meet a hot Australian surfer who, whatdoyaknow!, is a mega millionaire, proposes marriage to me, and helps me get Australian citizenship papers! Then one day, by some incredible laws of nature, the nation of Australia floats all the way to the North Atlantic Ocean (great weather and beaches in tact) and WOW, is only an hour plane ride away from New Jersey, so I can be home for Sunday dinner any time I want! Then I score a job at HBO and somehow manage to bypass being someone’s assistant. I produce a couple award-wining and critically-acclaimed shows, grab a few Golden Globes here and there, quit the industry when I’m on top, and then open up my own business of some sort and become my own boss!


Ahhh, life…

No comments:

Post a Comment